Thursday, October 6, 2016

The Mask - A MtoF short by Heidi Benner


The mask, I wore a mask over the years.
I never knew I wore a mask because I always assumed I knew or was happy with who I was born as.
But then she called out to me, she said "hey, I know you think you're happy with being who you appear to be on the outside." "But I don't think you're really happy with who you are, am I right?" I had to think for awhile about what she said to me and get back to her. "I told her I'm not satisfied with being something I'm not." "All this time I never realized I'm a girl." "But you helped awaken me!" "My eyes are open and I can see clearly now." I realized she was trying to tell me I'm actually wearing a mask, and that I needed to discard my mask. So I took off the mask and opened my eyes to see who I really am, and that's when I realized that I'm actually not what I appear as on the outside. But the question is... Who was "she?" "She" was "me" telling me to understand and realize who I've always meant to be my whole life. And so the mask was gone and I became the real me.

No comments:

Post a Comment